Your Treatment Begins Here
Strokes can happen to anyone, at any age. At Spectrum Health, you're choosing the number one stroke center in Michigan. We offer the most advanced diagnostic, treatment and rehabilitation services. Our stroke experts are with you every step of the way to optimize your recovery and help prevent another stroke.
- Clot-busting medication may be suggested by your doctor in emergent circumstances to help dissolve the blood clot that is disrupting blood flow to the brain.
Antiplatelet and Anticoagulants are blood thinners that help improve your blood flow―reducing your risk of stroke.
Cholesterol-lowering medicine improves recovery after an ischemic stroke and decreases the risk of having another stroke.
- Talk with your primary care doctor to understand your medicine. Know their names, why you're taking them and what they look like. If you're having trouble paying for your medicine, ask for information regarding resources to help pay for your pills.
Minimally Invasive Procedures
- Clot removal may be suggested by your doctor in emergent circumstances. A guided catheter is placed through a vessel in your leg up to the clogged vessel in your brain. The catheter is used to remove the blood clot.
- Coiling uses a catheter to guide detachable coils into the aneurysm―blocking blood flow to the aneurysm.
- Flow diversion redirects blood flow to the main vessel, away from the aneurysm. Causing the aneurysm to shrink is size over time.
- Carotid stents can be implanted to help open constricted neck vessels.
- Clipping surgery is a procedure recommended for patients who’ve experienced a hemorrhagic stroke. A surgical clipping stops the blood flow to an aneurysm. Using a clamp at its base, the clamp helps prevent an occurrence of re-bleeding and the aneurysm from bursting.
- Carotid artery surgery removes fatty plaque causing a blood vessel blockage.
Tests and Procedures
Tests and procedures are beneficial to manage and discover clots. Additional tests include:
RehabilitationYour doctor will recommend the best recovery and rehabilitation plan for you. It typically involves a speech therapist, occupational therapist and physical therapist. Learn more about Spectrum Health's Rehabilitation here.