Who We Are
The Spectrum Health Reed City & Big Rapids Hospitals council represents the patient and family viewpoint for Spectrum Health Reed City Hospital, Spectrum Health Big Rapids Hospital and Spectrum Health Susan P. Wheatlake Regional Cancer Center, in addition to the variety of ambulatory services. Members follow the Planetree model of care, which focuses on healing and nurturing a patient's body, mind and spirit. The council is committed to improving medical care by empowering the patient and family through education, and encouraging a partnership with caregivers.
- Participated in clinical training sessions to assist staff on how to discuss pain management, caring conversation, bedside shift report and completing the new communication boards
- Developed a “transfer packet” for families who’s loved one is transported to another Spectrum Health facility in Grand Rapids
- Provided patient and family perspective on the facility renovation and expansion of Susan P. Wheatlake Regional Cancer Center, including the design, furnishing of new buildings and the infusion area
- Reviewed an inpatient pet therapy program that brings trained pet dogs into areas where patients may enjoy their calming ability and unconditional love
- Served as "mystery shoppers" to observe effectiveness of teamwork at various sites throughout Spectrum Health