The Institutional Review Board
The Institutional Review Board at Spectrum Health protects the rights, safety and welfare of all research participants. The Institutional Review Board reviews and oversees such research to assure it meets ethical principles and complies with federal regulations that pertain to human participant protections and good clinical practices.
Members of the Institutional Review Board include Spectrum Health physicians, staff, community members, scientists and non-scientists and those who possess a broad range of interests and expertise that correspond with the areas of research conducted across the system. The Institutional Review Board at Spectrum Health is registered with the Office of Human Protections under an assurance of compliance - Letter of Assurance (v.11.30.2020).
Institutional Review Board Support OfficeThe Spectrum Health Institutional Review Board Support Office is a dependable source of regulatory, operational and ethical knowledge for the Spectrum Health research community and the Spectrum Health Institutional Review Board committee. Our mission is to facilitate excellence in research by providing timely and thorough reviews of research applications and promoting the ethical and compliant conduct of research.
- Provide integrated oversight of ethical and regulatory issues in human subjects research conducted at Spectrum Health
- Provide effective and efficient IRB review, proactive consultation and training
- Develop resources, tools, templates and standard operating procedures for the research community
- Facilitate and strengthen links to other entities involved in oversight of human research at Spectrum Health
- Provide additional resources to improve services and functioning such as training and education, consultation and administration
- Achieve and maintain accreditation from the Association for the Accreditation of Human Research Protection Programs