Diabetes Management in Pregnancy
"We know good blood sugar control is crucially important in pregnancy, and our diabetes in pregnancy collaborative team approach offers the right expertise and support to help you achieve this."- David Colombo, MD, Maternal Fetal Medicine
If you have Type 1, Type 2 or gestational diabetes during pregnancy, you’ll have access to our diabetes in pregnancy multidisciplinary program, provided by Spectrum Health Medical Group Maternal Fetal Medicine and Endocrinology, Diabetes, Obesity Medicine and Metabolism. We specialize in the care of women with diabetes during pregnancy and offer access to a comprehensive team of maternal fetal medicine specialists, endocrinologists, diabetes educators and fetal ultrasound and monitoring services.
The diabetes in pregnancy program provides easy access for appointments with multiple specialists in one location. Our goal is to support you need throughout your pregnancy to manage your diabetes and lifestyle changes to ensure the well-being of both you and your baby.
The diabetes in pregnancy program includes:
- A perinatal consultation with a maternal fetal medicine specialist to review the pathophysiology of diabetes in pregnancy, perinatal risks to mother and fetus, obstetrical risks, maternal and fetal surveillance, labor and delivery management and postpartum evaluation
- Nutritional education with a certified diabetes educator.
- Glucometer/fingerstick and insulin administration education by trained staff
- Blood glucose management by a physician and staff specializing in the care of patients with diabetes mellitus
- Perinatal ultrasounds for fetal surveillance and monitoring
Patients are generally seen every two to four weeks depending on their blood sugar levels or need for continued education and blood glucose management support.