Skip to main content

Surgery for Lymphatic Malformation in Children

Treatment will depend on your child’s symptoms, age, and general health. It will also depend on how severe the condition is.

Your baby's healthcare provider may refer your baby to a specialist for treatment. Your baby may need to see an ear, nose, and throat doctor (otolaryngologist) or a surgeon. Your child may also need to see a doctor who specializes in conditions with imaging procedures (interventional radiologist) . 


Your child’s healthcare provider may watch the malformation. He or she will look for signs of infection, bleeding, or increases in size


If your child has an infection, he or she will need antibiotics.


Your child may need surgery to cut out (excise) small and some large cysts. The cysts may be partly or fully removed.


Your child may get shots (injections) into the cysts. These can destroy them.

Laser therapy or radiofrequency ablation

These tests destroy cysts with a laser or radio waves. These are used on small cysts or cysts in the mouth.