About Our Service
Our pediatric pulmonary program offers diagnosis and treatment of disorders related to breathing, lungs and sleeping in infants, children and teens.
Whether your child has a known condition or is experiencing serious breathing issues that require further diagnosis, we are here to help. Conditions we commonly treat with state-of-the-art technology and procedures include:
• Bronchopulmonary dysplasia
• Cystic fibrosis
• Interstitial lung disease
• Recurrent pneumonia
• Respiratory issues associated with neuromuscular syndromes
• Respiratory issues associated with sickle cell disease
Our expert team has outstanding technologies and services available to quickly diagnosis patients and offer leading edge treatments to families.
• The only pediatric pulmonary function testing lab in West Michigan.
• Special breathing tests for young children or those with special needs.
• Flexible bronchoscopy to examine the inside of the airways to diagnosis and treat more complex airway problems.
• A nationally-accredited pediatric sleep disorders center.
• Nationally-accredited cystic fibrosis (CF) care center, providing state of the art care.
• State of the art CF research and new therapies as a Therapeutic Development Network Center designated by the Cystic Fibrosis Foundation to do specialty research.
• Inpatient consultations at Helen DeVos Children’s Hospital in the PICU, NICU and other floors.
Our team can also help technology-dependent patients transition from the hospital to your home setting and provide support through our home ventilator program.
Team ApproachWe have a multidisciplinary team of specialized providers, nurses, respiratory therapists, social workers, registered dietitians and medical assistants dedicated to helping improve your child’s quality of life.
We offer consultations if your child requires an inpatient stay at Helen DeVos Children’s Hospital. After an inpatient stay, your child may require an outpatient visit to our clinic. While you may see a different specialist based on the inpatient or outpatient status of your child, we work as a team for all our patients.
Our team also coordinates care with allergy/immunology specialists, ear, nose and throat surgeons and gastroenterology specialists when needed.
Features of Pulmonology for Children
Our nationally-accredited cystic fibrosis care center provides state of the art care, including research and new therapies as a Therapeutic Development Network Center designated by the Cystic Fibrosis Foundation to do specialty research.
Our multidisciplinary clinic provides comprehensive treatment and support to children and adolescents who require mechanical ventilation to support their breathing.
We offer a number of multidisciplinary specialty clinics delivering care to young people with complex and rare diseases.
The only regional pediatric sleep program, offering diagnosis and treatment of apnea and other disorders related to sleeping in infants, children and teens.