Academy of Health Sciences and Technology at Innovation Central High School
Grand Rapids Public Schools and Spectrum Health jointly support the Academy of Health Sciences and Technology at Innovation Central High School.
Building a Healthier Workforce
Schools are much more than a building where learning takes place. Schools are our community. They impact the future of who we’ll be tomorrow, in terms of our workforce, our economy and our ability to grow and thrive.
Building a healthier workforce ensures our hospitals and community will be healthier in the years ahead. That’s why Spectrum Health has partnered with Grand Rapids Public Schools to develop the Academy of Health Sciences & Technology at Innovation Central High School. Designed to connect students and leading health care employers, the Academy gives students interested in the fields of health, science and technology preparation for their college education and a jumpstart on their career in the fastest growing industry in West Michigan.
By pledging annual funding and dedicating a full-time employee to drive the initiative, Spectrum Health is further investing in the health of our future workforce and the place we proudly call home.
A Firsthand Look at the World of Health Care
The Academy of Health Sciences & Technology connects students to the real workplace through a variety of activities and opportunities. Participants discover firsthand the challenging and exciting world of health, science and technology through interactive workplace experiences such as:
- Job shadowing and observations
- Internships and mentoring
- Service learning
- Career fairs and speakers
Goals of Our Partnership
- Expose students to various health care careers
- Increasing the number of Grand Rapids Public School students who choose a health care career by building career skills through real-life experiences
- Align the education curriculum to the health, science and technology needs of the future
- Employ Academy of Health Sciences and Technology students at Spectrum Health
Benefiting Students and Employers Alike
- Develop academic and future career skills through exposure to a health sciences curriculum
- Examine career interests, goals and abilities
- Learning about the vast range of health careers within their chosen pathway
- Gain knowledge through observing and interacting
- Value education as a lifelong process
- Contribute to the growth of a life sciences corridor in Grand Rapids
- Invest in the economic health of our community
- Ready a more viable and experienced workforce
- Diversify their workforce, gaining opportunities for early recruitment of potential employees
- Share their expertise and ongoing interest in the field of health care
If you'd like to lend your time, knowledge and talents to this exclusive partnership, please contact:
Cassandra Hankins, MA, LLPC
Spectrum Health Healthier Communities
665 Seward Ave. NW
Grand Rapids, MI 49504