Rehabilitation Clinical Education
Walt Fritz’s Foundations in Myofascial Release Seminar
May 4 and 5, 2018
Course overview: This two-day, highly interactive class will provide the speech-language pathologist (SLPs), and other health professionals with an interest in the voice, speech, and swallowing, a solid grounding in the use of myofascial release (MFR) and other manual therapies for the treatment of speech and swallowing-related disorders. The evidence-base and science-base will be reviewed, as well as the anatomy and physiology of the nervous system, the fascia, and corresponding muscle groups it supports. The majority of the course will be spent on supervised hands-on practice to develop comfort and expertise in performing these techniques for patients with specific types of voice disorders, dysphagia, head and neck cancer rehabilitation, and issues surrounding the jaw, mouth, and tongue. Appropriate patient selection will be reviewed and comparison will be made between various techniques to achieve optimal results for each patient, based on his or her presenting symptoms. The addition of myofascial release to an existing clinical skill set will allow the therapy professional to provide intervention to patients in novel ways. The participant will leave this course prepared to utilize myofascial release on his or her first day back to clinic.
Target audience: The Neck, Voice, and Swallowing Disorders Seminar has no prerequisites and is directed toward health professionals working within the areas of speech, swallowing, and voice, but is also appropriate for therapists with an interest in these areas and is open to MTs, PTs, and OTs. This is a two-day class. ASHA (1.45) and NCBTMB (14) CE Hours are approved.
14.5 Contact Hours
- $400 if registered by March 4, 2018
- $450 if registered by April 13, 2018
- $500 if registered after April 13, 2018
- $250 for retakes of this class
Spectrum Health Medical Center
North Office Building, Rooms 120 and 121
221 Michigan Street NE
Grand Rapids, MI 49503
A map is available here.
Terms and Conditions
- Refer to the presenting Institution’s Policy, if applicable
- Spectrum Health Policy: if cancelling greater than 14 days prior to the first day of the course; then a full refund minus a $50.00 processing fee will be issued. If cancelling less than 14 days prior to the first day of the course; no refund. No special circumstances accepted.
- Spectrum Health staff will observe the same rules for cancellation.
- Payment must be made in full no less than five business days before the start of the course. No monies will be accepted during the courses.
- Spectrum Health employees eligible for discounted tuition.