Volunteer at Spectrum Health Grand Rapids Hospitals
We welcome volunteers at Spectrum Health Grand Rapids hospitals. We have volunteer opportunities in Grand Rapids at Blodgett Hospital, Butterworth Hospital, Helen DeVos Children’s Hospital, Lemmen-Holton Cancer Pavilion and Meijer Heart Center.
In order to attract and retain the best volunteers for Spectrum Health and ensure a rewarding experience for you, we try to match individual talents and skills to our areas of need. Volunteers may fill many different roles.
Who Makes a Good Health Care Volunteer?
- Adheres to the Spectrum Health values: Excellence, Accountability, Compassion, Integrity, Respect, Teamwork
- Puts people first
- Is dependable, committed and punctual
- Follows strict patient confidentiality laws and has solid personal boundaries
- Is flexible and adaptable to the busy, every-changing health care environment and willing to complete all of the duties in their assigned area
- Is friendly and professional to all and able to work well with other volunteers and employees
- Complies with all health care requirements (See “Requirements” section)
- Follows all Spectrum Health policies and procedures
Review the following requirements before you apply.
Age requirement: Volunteers at the Spectrum Health Hospitals in Grand Rapids must be age 18 or older.
Commitment requirement: In order to properly orient and train individuals, we ask volunteers to commit to serve at least one four-hour shift one time per week, for a minimum of six months.
Application requirements: Complete our online application. Have two letters of reference submitted on your behalf. Instructions on how to submit these are listed on the application form. Please do not select family members. References should be able to speak to your commitment and dedication as a potential volunteer. Making sure letters are completed and submitted is your responsibility.
To learn more about volunteering for Spectrum Health, contact:
Spectrum Health Medical Center Hospital Volunteer Services (Butterworth, Blodgett, Helen DeVos Children’s Hospital, Lemmen-Holton Cancer Pavilion and Meijer Heart Center)
100 Michigan Street NE, Room B549
Grand Rapids, MI 49503
Open Monday through Friday 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
- Laurel Viewig, Manager
- Dan Combs, Volunteer Coordinator
- Terri Morse, Administrative Support Coordinator