Pediatric neurosurgery at Helen DeVos Children's Hospital focuses on care that emphasizes people, not diseases.
We are the only pediatric neurosurgery program in the region. From congenital neurological conditions to traumatic injury or illness, taking care of children and families is our mission and our priority.
We serve children with:
• Injuries to the brain and spinal cord
• Childhood neurological disorders
• Congenital conditions, such as spina bifida and related conditions
• Spasticity and hydrocephalus
• Tumors of the brain and nervous system
• Craniofacial anomalies
• Chiari malformations
• Complex craniovertebral abnormalities
We are also able to observe and adjust programmable shunts during office visits, which controls costs and saves families time.
Our Advanced Management of Pediatric Spasticity Program is a collaborative partnership with Mary Free Bed Rehabilitation Hospital.
Pioneering Minimally Invasive ProceduresOur pediatric neurosurgery team has brought new capabilities and advanced procedures to West Michigan. We focus on minimally invasive procedures because of their great benefit to the patient, including shorter hospital stays, faster recovery times, smaller incisions, less trauma and fewer side effects.
We have pioneered two key procedures:
• Minimally invasive surgery for brain tumors, which has dramatically shorter recovery times than the more traditional surgery
• Minimally invasive selective dorsal rhizotomy, which helps children with spasticity to walk with less effort