myDesktop Remote Access FAQ
If you are having an issue using myDesktop please contact the Spectrum Health IS Service Desk for assistance.
myDesktop is a Spectrum Health computer system, which may be accessed and used only for official business by authorized personnel. Unauthorized access or use of Spectrum Health systems may subject violators to criminal, civil, and/or administrative action. Users (authorized or unauthorized) have no explicit or implicit expectation of privacy. Access or use of this computer system by any person whether authorized or unauthorized, constitutes consent to these terms.
Spectrum Health myDesktop FAQs
- What is myDesktop?
- How do I get access to use myDesktop?
- Can I use myDesktop on more than one personal device? E.g., I have a home PC, and an iPad that I use.
- Can I use myDesktop anywhere and at anytime?
- Is myDesktop an exact copy of my SH desktop when I log in to my SH computer?
- How do I request additional applications be available on myDesktop?
- I am having problems logging into mydesktop.spectrumhealth.org. What do I do?
- What is the difference between using myDesktop at home and using my SH computer without myDesktop?
- I am using myDesktop but need to use applications that aren't available when I use myDesktop but are available when I use my SH computer.
- I have a colleague who does not use myDesktop now but is interested in receiving myDesktop access. How do you request myDesktop access?
- I am having issues while using myDesktop. Who do I contact to help me?
1. What is myDesktop?
myDesktop provides remote access at any time, from anywhere with internet access, and on many devices. It provides physicians and employees with access to a Spectrum Health Windows 10 virtual desktop from multiple device types, such as a home PC, smartphone or tablet.
2. How do I get access to use myDesktop?
Submit a ServiceNow request for myDesktop. This request will need to be approved by your upline before you are able to start using myDesktop. You will also need a one-time security code generated from VIP Access in order to access your myDesktop remotely.
A VIP Access security code is a Spectrum Health (SH) security measure that serves as second form of authentication during remote access to protect patient Protected Health Information (PHI) and other sensitive data by reducing unauthorized access. The security code will be used in conjunction with your Spectrum Health assigned network username and password for myDesktop remote access. VIP Access generates the security code you will use through your mobile device (Android, iPhone) or personal computer.
Contact the Spectrum Health IS Service Desk for assistance with getting setup with VIP Access.
3. Can I use myDesktop on more than one personal device? E.g., I have a home PC, and an iPad that I use.
Yes. You can download the VMware Horizon View Client on more than one personal device, or you can login via the following myDesktop website - https://mydesktop.spectrumhealth.org/
4. Can I use myDesktop anywhere and at anytime?
You can use myDesktop anywhere you have an internet connection (wired or wireless) and a computer or mobile device available. You need to submit a ServiceNow request to receive myDesktop access. You can then access the myDesktop by downloading the VMware Horizon Client to your computer or mobile device, or by logging in via the following myDesktop website - https://mydesktop.spectrumhealth.org/
5. Is myDesktop an exact copy of my SH desktop when I log in to my SH computer?
No, myDesktop is a new virtual desktop that contains core Windows and Spectrum Health applications along with numerous user assigned applications. It will, however, match the desktop you see when you tap your badge to login to a computer.
6. How do I request additional applications be available on myDesktop?Currently, a specific group of applications are available on myDesktop. If your workflow requires an application that is not offered on myDesktop then you can submit a request by contacting the Service Desk and indicate the application you require and why it is required in relation to your role and workflow. All requests will be reviewed and a response will be provided to indicate if the application is planned to be offered on myDesktop and when. If the application is not planned then it will be considered and prioritized against other requests received.
7. I am having problems logging into myspectrum.spectrumhealth.org. What do I do?If you receive the message “The Spectrum Health Internet Proxy could not connect to the website you are attempting to access.” Please make sure that you did not misspell the name of the website you are trying to access. The myDesktop website should only be used on personal devices on home networks (or sh-guest).
8. What is the difference between using myDesktop at home and using my SH computer without myDesktop?
The experience should be nearly the same, but you may not have access to device licensed software in myDesktop.
9. Does myDesktop offer the same functionality and applications as my SH computer?
myDesktop offers the same functionality and you can perform almost all of the same functions, including printing from myDesktop. Your applications are limited to the core application included in the application group you are signed into along with a few virtualized user licensed applications.