Win With Wellness Fit Club
Spectrum Health Ludington Hospital has partnered with 14 area schools in Mason, Lake and Oceana counties to offer health and wellness opportunities for elementary students through the hospital’s Win with Wellness Fit Club program.
3,358 students in Mason, Oceana and Lake counties received Fit Club education during the 2017-2018 school year. Health education modules included the importance of fitness, proper hydration and healthy drink choices, understanding portion sizes and healthy eating, the importance of healthy fats and brain boosting foods, water safety, wheeled safety and proper helmet and safety belt usage, dental hygiene, and good sleep habits.
The Win with Wellness Fit Club program is designed to:
- Increase knowledge and awareness of healthy lifestyle choices
- Create opportunities for physical fitness within our 100 Mile Challenge
- Foster teamwork, goal setting, sportsmanship and a proactive approach to health
- Offer health educational opportunities around important health topics
100 Mile ChallengeAll Fit Club students at participating schools have the opportunity to participate in the 100 Mile Challenge. This opportunity encourages the students to walk or run 100 miles from September to May while at school or home. During the 2017-2018 schoolyear, 2,093 students participated in the 100-Mile Challenge and logged 125,597 miles. Students who participate in the 100-mile challenge earn prizes as milestones are met. Prizes include:
- Free admission to the West Shore Community College Recreation Center Gymnasium, ice arena and swimming pool
- Discounts at Snyder's Shoes, Johnny's Skate Center, Sandcastles Children’s Museum, and Jump Around Fun Center
- Free mini golf at the Ludington Area Jaycess mini golf course
- Free round of golf at Lakeside Links
- Free round of golf at Oceana Golf Club
- Free bucket of balls for the driving range at Golden Sands Golf Course in Mears
- Free kids fitness sessions at Ludington CrossFit and Chalkheadz Gymnastics
- Free weekend fitness classes at Lakeside Family Fitness in Hart
- Free open gym at Flipstar Gymnastics
- Free fitness programs at EnerG Fitness
- T-shirts, water bottles and other prizes given along the way
Sign up to participate in the 100 Mile Challenge and start earning prizes!
You may record your Fit Club miles online or turn in your calendar to your homeroom teacher.
After School Fit Club Programs
- Free weekly after school Fit Club programs at the Mason County District Library in Ludington and Scottville
- Wednesdays from 4 p.m. to 5 p.m. at the Scottville Library
- Thursdays from 4 p.m. to 5 p.m. at the Ludington Library
- Free weekly after school Fit Club at Ludington Area Catholic School
- Free bi-monthly partnership with Hart Schools and Baldwin Schools Project Focus after school programs
Upcoming Events and Activities
The Win with Wellness Fit Club program aims to foster a love of health and fitness in area students so their behaviors and choices will sustain them for a lifetime of wellness. Together, we can make a difference.
Ludwig Community Benefit Award
Fit Club received the 2017 Ludwig Community Benefit Award from the Michigan Health & Hospital Association. The award is presented to member organizations integrally involved in collaborative programs to improve the health and well-being of area residents.
Fit Club is integrated into the school curriculum and provides interactive, developmentally appropriate educational modules during each academic year. Fit Club programming starts in kindergarten and continues through fifth grade, each year building upon an established health curriculum. The goal is to empower youth to take an informed and active role in managing their own health to reduce their risk for chronic, preventable diseases.