Brain & Spine Tumor Center
With the incidence of primary brain cancer increasing across the nation, Spectrum Health’s Brain & Spine Tumor Center offers the efficiency of care available in West Michigan and allows patients to remain closer to home, family and community support systems. We offer highly specialized, multidisciplinary care for adult patients diagnosed with primary and metastatic tumors of the brain and spine in West Michigan. Our team provides the most advanced and innovative treatment options, including new, emerging and experimental therapies, using a coordinated, expedited and patient-centric care model. The brain & spine tumor center is located in Grand Rapids, with neurosurgery outpatient clinic locations in Fremont, Greenville, Holland and Reed City.
- Phone: 616.486.5933, or 1.855.SHCANCER
- Great Lakes Health Connect, select "Spectrum Health Brain & Spine Tumor Center"
- Please use our referral form to refer a new patient or for a non-emergent consultation
Neuro-Oncology Tumor Board
Experts from multiple specialties meet to review and evaluate each patient case in order to determine an accurate diagnosis and optimal patient-specific treatment recommendation.
Brain and Spine Tumor Clinic
In one visit to a single location, your patient and his or her family meet with a multidisciplinary team of specialists to review and discuss treatment and support options. Your patient leaves this appointment with a detailed treatment plan and understanding of “next steps.”
Pituitary Tumor Clinic
A multidisciplinary clinic designed specifically for patients with pituitary tumors and other pituitary abnormalities. Your patient meets with our endocrinologist, neuro oncologist and skull base neurosurgeon, all in the same appointment, to discuss a care and treatment plan.
A dedicated neuro-oncology nurse navigator coordinates care and services, provides education and support, and guides your patient and his or her family through the entire treatment process and beyond.
Behavioral Oncology/Supportive Care Medicine
Screening, support, counseling and behavioral medication management services are integrated into your patient’s treatment plan to help minimize the impact of emotional, psychological and psychosocial distress that can accompany a brain tumor diagnosis.
Advanced Techniques and Technologies
- 3Tesla MRI
- Functional MRI (fMRI)
- MRI spectroscopy (MRspect)
- 3-D neuroimaging (NeuroQuant®)
- Awake craniotomy with brain mapping for eloquent area tumors
- Intraoperative neurophysiological monitoring
- Intraoperative MRI (iMRI)
- Laser thermocoagulation
- Microsurgical techniques
- MRI-guided laser technology (Visualase)
- Neuroendoscopy for skull base tumors
- Spinal reconstruction for destructive tumors
- Surgical imaging system (O-Arm®)
- Surgical navigation system (StealthStation®)
- Image guided radiation therapy (IGRT)
- Intensity modulated radiation therapy (IMRT)
- Stereotactic body radiation therapy (SBRT)
- Stereotactic radiosurgery system (Novalis Tx™)
Localized and targeted chemotherapy treatment options offered.
Tumor Treating Fields (TTF) therapy
Tumor-treatment fields therapy is a noninvasive technology that is intended to treat glioblastoma using electrical fields.