Working as part of the care team and securing the healthcare environment to enhance the healing of our patients.
Spectrum Health Security services provides support at all Spectrum Health hospital locations throughout Michigan as well as many greater Grand Rapids locations, Priority Health, and Health Pointe in Grand Haven.
Get to Know Our Teams
- Employee, student, and contractor access control
- Badge access concerns and replacement
- Lost and found
- General security and facility information
The K9 team is tasked with enhancing security at our facilities through proactive community engagement as well as professional emergency response. Our K9 officers are chosen for their dedication to supporting the care team and exemplary service to the Spectrum Health communities and beyond. Our K9 teams hold certifications from the International Police Work Dog Association (IPWDA) and The United States Police Canine Association (USPCA) as dual purpose dog teams. Each team is recertified yearly and is involved with rigorous maintenance training during the course of the rest of the year. Our team has been recognized for high performance of duties and skills, bringing home multiple awards from both IPWDA and USPCA. All Spectrum Health K9s are currently German Shepherds imported from Europe. The unit consists of four dogs including Fix, Rex, Cain, and Bak.
The K9 teams are supported fully by donations to the Spectrum Health Foundation K9 Friend Fund. (Fund is listed under Grand Rapids designation.)
- Staff and visitor safety escorts
- Crisis intervention trained officers
- De-escalation management
- Internal and external patrols
- Management of aggressive behavior
- Helipad response
- Emergency response
- Access control
- Vehicle assistance: lockouts, jump starts, tire inflation
- Threat assessment
- Armed threat response
Our training department is directly responsible for the training and continuing education of our officers. All of our officers complete a minimum of biannual training in various topics including subject control, verbal de-escalation, taser, CPR, first aid, emergency preparedness, emergency response, legal and quarterly firearm certifications. The training team trains medical and support staff through our workplace violence program.
- New officer training
- In-service training
- Workplace violence prevention
Our Location: The Facility Service Center
Our facility support center is located at Spectrum Health Butterworth Hospital and is responsible for the coordination of security activities at all Spectrum Health locations.
- The dispatch center handles calls for service for 247 locations daily across Western and Northern Michigan
- We average 2,481 operator calls, 507 parking calls, and 263 security calls per day
- We are staffed 24/7
- We proactively monitor CCTV, continuum, hugs system, weather radar, and fire system monitoring as well as handling calls for service
- We use the Michigan Public Safety Communications System’s 800 MHz radio system which allows immediate communication with officers anywhere in the state of Michigan.