West Michigan's Only Level 1 Trauma Center
Trauma can impact anyone, anytime. But when the unexpected happens, comprehensive care provided by the Spectrum Health Trauma Center is something you can count on. Our multidisciplinary teams work rapidly to provide collaborative care for critical injuries, with the ultimate goal of helping patients return home with restored health and function.
Since 1991, we’ve been recognized a Level 1 Trauma Center by the American College of Surgeons. This prestigious clinical status has been maintained over the last three decades through a commitment to cutting edge clinical performance, research and education. We are the only Level 1 Trauma Center in West Michigan, and serve as the epicenter of trauma programs throughout the West Michigan region. In this position, we not only care for patients from our community, but also accept more than 1,000 transfers annually for patients who have injuries that require the expertise of our trauma teams.
Day or night, our teams are standing by, ready to provide life saving care at a moment’s notice and guide our patients through their recovery.
Our Service Area
The Level 1 Difference
- Highest national recognition possible for a trauma center
- Total care for every injury--from initial assessment and treatment, through rehabilitation
- 24-hour in-house coverage by trauma and critical care trained surgeons
- Prompt availability of around the clock specialty care and surgery
- Leadership in prevention, public education and continuing education of trauma team members
- Commitment to ongoing improvement through quality and process assessment
- Research infrastructure to direct new innovations in trauma care
When Don Fournier was in danger of bleeding to death after a snowmobile accident, a small, innovative device came to his rescue.