Surgical Optimization Center
Quality health care means doing the right thing the first time and every time. As part of our commitment to quality, we have created the surgical optimization center (SOC) to prepare you and your surgical care team before your surgery. Our focus is improving patient safety and surgical outcomes. To ensure your safety and recovery, it is vital to have you as physically "fit" as possible prior to your procedure. Your fitness level, preoperatively, will enhance your recovery and get you back to work and your life faster.
Our focus is improving patient safety and surgical outcomes.
What is Optimization?
The goal of “optimizing” your health prior to surgery is to minimize your risk of postoperative complications, decrease length of stay in the hospital, reduce unplanned re-admissions and enhance your overall health and surgical experience. By optimizing your health prior to surgery this may also prevent delays or cancellation of your surgery. It is also to provide a surgical care plan for the patient, surgeon, anesthesiologist, surgical team, and primary care provider. Optimization also includes patient education to help answer questions and reduce anxiety about your upcoming procedure.
Your Personalized Surgical Care Plan
You and the SOC team will work together to create a plan for your surgery. This plan will guide you and everyone who cares for you before and during surgery.
Your personal plan will include:
- A complete medical assessment, including a review of your surgical, familial, and social histories.
- Education and resources to let you know what to expect and how to prepare for your surgery.
- Medication review and instructions given prior to day of your surgery.
- We work with your surgical team and anesthesiologists to determine if additional testing is needed based on your medical history. This helps to avoid unnecessary tests and visits, and can save you money and time.
- Care management options if at-home assistance is needed during your recovery.
- Your completed comprehensive assessment will be sent to your surgeon and primary care physician with any recommendations, testing, and medication management instructions.
Watch the video below with Adam Edlund, MD, to learn more information about how the Spectrum Health Surgical Optimization Center may be right for you and your family.