With fellowship-trained orthopedic trauma surgeons, the Spectrum Health orthopedic trauma and reconstructive surgery team treats the most complex cases and severe bone, joint and muscle injuries at Spectrum Health Butterworth Hospital, the only American College of Surgeons verified Level 1 Trauma Center in West Michigan. Our Level 1 Trauma Center verification means that we offer orthopedic trauma and specialized trauma teams whenever you need it—24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year.
Contact us if you have suffered a traumatic injury and are looking for a second opinion regarding treatment options, recovery and follow-up care.
Meet Our Physicians and Advanced Practice Providers
Journey With Orthopedic Trauma Care
“I couldn’t move,” said Zoellner, “I told my daughter, ‘I broke my leg again.’” (Chris Clark | Spectrum Health Beat)
Dorothy's diagnosis was a complex femur fracture between her hip and knee prostheses. "It was a very freakish accident," she said. (Chris Clark | Spectrum Health Beat)
X-rays show how trauma surgeon Andrew Fras, MD, attached a large plate and screws to the rod that had been implanted when she broke her leg years ago. (Chris Clark | Spectrum Health Beat)
• Broken bones, including complex fracture repair
• Geriatric hip fractures
• Fragility fractures from osteoporosis or metabolic bone disease
• Complex peri-articular (joint) fractures
• Limb salvage and amputation
• Nonunions and malunions (problems with healing and healing with poor alignment)
• Pelvis and acetabular fractures
• Post-traumatic arthrosis
• Reconstructive surgery following previous fracture or trauma
• Second opinions regarding musculoskeletal fracture care
Orthopedic Condition Checker
Retiree and world traveler Dorothy Zoellner is using a positive attitude and determination to fight back from a complex leg fracture.