The death of a loved one may be one of life's most difficult challenges. Recognizing that this can be a stressful time, bereavement services offers support groups and education, encouragement and hope. Reactions to grief are unique, yet many feelings and experiences associated with grief are common. We understand this loss may be compounded by its suddenness during this COVID-19 crisis. Learning what to expect during grief and opening yourself to support from others allows you to move through your grief in healthy ways. Spectrum Health Hospice Bereavement Services is available to the families we have served and remains a support to our community.
Our bereavement team offers the following services:
- Mailings about grief, loss and adjustment:
- Helpful Things to Do While Experiencing Grief and Loss
- Helping You Through This Difficult Time
- Community Resources
- Suggested Resources for Grieving Adults
- Approaching the Anniversary
- Individual support and education
- Grief Support Groups
- Remembrance events
- Referral Assistance
- Community Education and Support
Bereavement Services is continuing to monitor the impact of COVID-19 on our community. We, like many other service-organizations, are modifying our methods of care to ensure those needing immediate support get the help they need during this difficult time.
Should you need support or information our bereavement coordinators are available by phone, Monday – Friday from 8 am to 5 pm.
All grief support and education support groups have transitioned to virtual support groups at this time.
Bereavement Services is working diligently to ensure the safety of our staff and families we serve amidst the COVID-19 outbreak. We appreciate your support during these challenging times. We encourage you to take personal precautions to keep yourself and the special people in your lives healthy.
Please note that Spectrum Health does not control or endorse the information on these sites; nor do these sites endorse the information contained here.
- Grief Words (Online Library) - Thoughtful articles providing guidance and direction for anyone touched by grief.
- Coping with Grief and Loss in Uncertain Times - This booklet, put together by our Hospice Chaplains and Bereavement Coordinators, includes several prayers, poems, and spiritual readings from a variety of traditions. It also includes information about the dying experience, funerals, and grief during this time of COVID-19. We hope this booklet will provide comfort our patients, families, and caregivers, and help to affirm their spirituality.
- Gilda’s Club - Offering virtual support groups.
- Center for Loss and Transition - Helpful articles related to grief & Coronavirus pandemic
- Grief Healing - If you are anticipating or coping with a significant loss in your life and wish to better understand the grief that accompanies such loss, this site has been created to offer you the information, comfort and support that you need
- COVID pandemic in terms of loss for everyone, worldwide- Interview with David Kessler
- Our Hospice chaplains and music therapists have been collaborating to offer a variety of songs, hymns, and spiritual resources for patients and families. This link will take you to all of the videos: https://tinyurl.com/SHMusicResources. You can also click the tab at the top that says “Playlist” and that will take you to where we have put everything into categories. We just started this, so it is still in the works. More content will be added regularly.
Grief Support Groups
Grief support groups provide a safe place to understand the grieving process and to join others in finding ways to navigate the difficult journey of grief. Services are offered in a variety of areas and at various times. Groups are free of charge and open to the public. If you need assistance finding a group in your area, please call us.
Words of Hope
"Whatever you do, you need courage"
- Ralph Waldo Emerson