Our team is led by dedicated, board-certified pediatric gastroenterologists. Team members include pediatric nurse practitioners, a medical social worker and a dietitian—all of whom have specialized training and experience in working with children’s gastrointestinal health issues. We work closely with other subspecialties and departments at Helen DeVos Children’s Hospital, including radiology, psychology, surgery and child life services, to provide coordinated, comprehensive and kid-friendly care.
Meet Our Providers
Preparing for Your First Visit
If your child has been referred to us, you will want to know what to expect. If you have any questions, please call 616.267.2100, and we will be happy to help you.
- Your primary care doctor’s office must submit a referral form (can be obtained from our office).
- Expect routine new referrals to be seen in two to three weeks.
- Urgent conditions will be scheduled for initial visits within 24 to 48 hours.
- Contact your insurance company prior to the appointment to verify that the referral is on file and the appointment has been authorized.
- Plan on one hour for the initial consultation.
- Plan to pay any co-pay at the time of your visit (credit cards accepted).
- Arrive 15 minutes before your scheduled appointment to complete a health history and registration.
- All patients under age 18 must be accompanied by a parent or legal guardian
What to Bring
- Insurance card
- Photo ID of parent/guardian
- Legal guardianship documentation (if applicable)
- Patient history
- A list of all medications and dosages the child is taking
- Any test results, MRIs, CT scans or ultrasounds that have been done outside of Spectrum Health hospitals or care locations (related to this condition)
What Tests to Expect
- A full physical examination of your child, including a possible rectal exam
- Bloodwork may be ordered following the visit
Follow-up appointments are scheduled at the discretion of the physician. We work diligently to coordinate appointments with other offices to minimize your inconvenience