Mental Health Tips & Resources
Are You "Fine"?
When someone asks how you are, do you answer “fine” knowing there’s more going on beneath the surface? Maybe you’re feeling stress, grief, loneliness, loss or just feeling like you’re in a rut. Maybe you feel depressed or anxious.
Mental Health Is Health
Sometimes it can get to be too much—especially if we don’t know how to work through what we’re feeling—and it may start to interfere with work, friends or family, or impact our physical health. Because mental health IS health, and we need to treat it that way.
Get Beyond Fine and Take the First Step Today
Just as everyone’s reactions to depression and anxiety will feel different, feeling “good” is also different for everyone. It’s about building habits that add up over time. Some days will be better than others. You’ll find that what’s good for your physical health is also good for your mental health (and vice versa).
Every little bit may lead to finding joy, feeling a sense of progress and finding purpose and personal fulfillment. It’s important not to compare yourself to others. You’ll know (and feel) when you’re making progress. There’s an abundance of tips and resources to help you take the next best step for you.
Tips, Resources, Stories and More to Help You Take That First Step
Wellness & Mindset
- 6 steps to a better mindset
- Time to wrangle your worries?
- Mindfulness: Live in the present
- Don’t let a diagnosis get you down – living with chronic conditions
- Brighten up your gray matter
- Learn to love yourself
Youth & Teen
- Learn more about anxiety in children and teens
- Learn more about warning signs and teens at risk for suicide
- Help kids build good mental health
- Trouble in the wonder years – middle school anxiety
- Help kids build healthy habits
- Stick and stones and …social media?
- LGBT National Help Center: Hotlines for adults 888.843.4564 and seniors (50+) 888.234.7243
- Trans Lifeline: Trans Peer Support (run for and by trans people) 877.565.8860
- Thrive Lifeline: 24/7 text messaging for LGBTQIA+. Text THRIVE to 1.313.662.8209
- LGBT National Help Center: Online peer support chats, chatrooms and more info about local resources
- My Bandana Project: Support for transgender and gender diverse people who are thinking of suicide
- Trans Lifeline
- The Trevor Project (up to age 24): An online community for LGBTQ+ persons and other resources
- Suicide Prevention Lifeline
Depression & Anxiety
- Now Matters Now: For crisis situations, including strategies to safely cope with suicidal thoughts
- Turn2Me: Free support groups led by a mental health professional on anxiety, stress management, depression and people experiencing suicidal thoughts
- Stronger than suicide
- Depressed? Time to talk
- Tame anxiety without pills
- Worry less, relax more
- Find time to nurture mental health
- The psychology of sleep
Talk to your doctor or seek immediate help if you begin to:
- Withdraw from others
- Have feelings of hopelessness that won’t go away
- Feel you would be better off dead or ending your life
- Use drinking/drugs to cope with emotions
- Have anxiety that makes functioning difficult
Suicide Prevention Lifeline
- 800.273.TALK (8255)
- Text HELLO to 741741