Pediatric Hospital Medicine Fellowship
Welcome and thank you for your interest in the Spectrum Health/Michigan State University College of Human Medicine Pediatric Hospital Medicine Fellowship at Helen DeVos Children’s Hospital. Our work to keep kids healthy places us among U.S. News & World Report’s 2020-21 Best Children’s Hospitals. Helen DeVos Children’s Hospital is nationally ranked in eight pediatric subspecialties and has also made a national name for itself in the world of pediatric quality improvement and patient safety. We are located Grand Rapids, Michigan, one of the most enjoyable and fastest growing cities in the Midwest.
The fellowship offers complete clinical, educational and scholarly programs in our state-of-the-art, freestanding children’s hospital. We hope the following information is helpful to you and thank you again for considering us for your fellowship training. If you are an internal medicine/pediatrics resident, we can offer you time as an adult hospitalist during your fellowship elective time. Several of our hospitalists are internal medicine/pediatrics trained and continue to work in the adult world. Please don’t hesitate to inquire more about this!
- From Program Leadership and
- Life as a Fellow
- Salary and Benefits
From the Program Directors
- Our daily commitment to fellowship educational and programmatic excellence
- The strong QI and patient safety infrastructure that drives care in Helen DeVos Children’s Hospital
- Our incredible institutional and programmatic work to reduce power gradients and nurture the culture of collegial teamwork with colleagues who feel more like family members
Our fellowship program was one of only four in the U.S. to receive initial certification by the ACGME in January of 2020! As a fellow here, you will receive a robust didactic curriculum in research, QI, Patient Safety, Process Improvement and all PHM Core Content topics. The Pediatrics and Medicine/Pediatrics residencies here have a total of 24 residents/year, which affords fellows great team leadership, mentorship and teaching opportunities. We have 15 specialized fellowship electives for you to choose from, and our affiliation with Michigan State University provides regular medical student teaching and mentorship opportunities. Helen DeVos Children’s Hospital has been in the U.S. News and World Report Top 50 for multiple successive years, including 2020 - 2021, and has over 300 pediatric physicians in 50 different specialties. Finally, our hospitalist faculty group is 18 members strong, with diverse clinical and research interests.
QI/Patient Safety/Process Improvement
Helen DeVos Children’s Hospital is the home of our amazing” i-Hub” (improvement hub), a physical space where quality, safety and process improvement specialists are co-located, to facilitate better and faster high impact improvement work. Pediatric hospital medicine fellows are involved in this process from the time of matriculation and have become a valued part of the i-Hub team.
Helen DeVos Children’s Hospital is the home of the “Call Me Bob” campaign, whereby all staff are encouraged to call each other by our first names. This has reduced the power gradient and sense of hierarchy that exists in many healthcare settings, which allows for better teamwork, more collaboration and a sense that work is a great place to be. We have robust initiatives in wellness and diversity that exist not just in the fellowship but are institutional mandates we take very seriously. If you were a fly on the wall here on any particular day, you would see the sense of joy, cohesion, energy and fun that exists in our group, the fellowship, and children’s hospital. Helen DeVos Children’s Hospital is a great place to be! Finally, while most of you have likely never visited Grand Rapids, we completely love our city, which in 2018 was voted the 12th best place to live in the U.S. by U.S. News and World Report. a haven for foodies, outdoor adventure and so much more (and if you’ve never seen the beaches of Lake Michigan, you haven’t really lived!).
We look forward to meeting you virtually and sharing all that our fellowship, hospital and city have to offer!
Jeri and Brett
From the Senior Fellows
- Five blocks electives
- Four blocks scholarly activity/research
- Two blocks hospital medicine at Helen DeVos Children’s Hospital
- One block neonatal medicine
- One block sedation
- Four weeks for vacation/conference
- infectious disease with antibiotic stewardship
- pediatric emergency medicine
- palliative care/pain management
- care/pain management
- child abuse and neglect
- pediatric surgery
- genetics and metabolism
- global health
- hospital administration and leadership
- pediatric physical medicine & rehabilitation
- the business of medicine
- inpatient child psychiatry
- the option to design your own elective
- Core fellow research, QI and process improvement
- Hospital fellow-specific series based on the PHM Content Outline, given by the hospitalist section
- Hospitalist Fellowship Journal Club (monthly)
- Hospitalist Fellowship Ethics presentations (quarterly)
- Weekly Grand Rounds
- Weekly Multidisciplinary Case Conference
- Completion of a two day and half day Clinical Teacher Program
- Development and oversight of monthly simulation sessions with residents and medical students
- Leaders in the Intern Lecture Series
- Formal teaching in the undergraduate medical education curriculum at MSU College of Human Medicine
- Bedside teaching of residents and medical students
- Pediatric Hospitalist Co-Management of Neurosurgery Patients
- I-STOP Process for Floor Patients
- Trend in Marijuana Exposure in Newborns Before and After Recreational Legalization in Michigan
- Development of Education Around Opioid Use in Children and Adolescents
- Lost in Translation: Overcoming Language Barriers by Partnering with Language Services
- Project DRIVE: Decreasing Redundant and Irrelevant Vitals Everyday
- Critical Care Billing for Hospitalists
2021 PHM Fellowship Match timeline
August 12, 2020: Application review and interview invites begin!
September 23, 2020: NRMP Match opens
October 28, 2020: Rank Order Entry List opens
December 2, 2020: Rank Order List Certification due
December 16, 2020: Match Day, 12:00 PM EST
For more information on our program, contact Kelli VanZweden, program coordinator.
As the second largest city in Michigan, Grand Rapids is an amazing place to work, live, play and explore. This vibrant city is known for some of the best festivals in the world, like ArtPrize, and is only a short 45 minute drive to Lake Michigan. The city has been recognized by numerous sources, including The New York Times, where Grand Rapids was ranked as one of the 52 Places to Go. Additionally, Thrillist consider Grand Rapids the best food city in the state of Michigan, and in 2018, Trulia chose Grand Rapids as the Hottest Real Estate Market to Watch in the country. Grand Rapids is a city with endless experiences for people of every age. Learn more.