Spectrum Health Academy of Professional Educators
The Spectrum Health Academy of Professional Educators (SHAPE) was developed and initiated in 2020. Our mission is to create a community of educators at Spectrum Health who promote a culture of educational excellence to improve health care outcomes through teaching expertise. With the development of SHAPE, Spectrum Health will join the Academies Collaborative.
• Provide programming to foster the development of teaching skills to improve the education of medical students, residents and fellows
• Create a community for educators across all departments and the educational continuum
• Recognize and reward outstanding educators to enhance visibility and promote excellence in medical education
• Stimulate and support development of educational scholarship opportunities
• Enhance the career and professional development of clinician educators with a MD, PhD or other terminal degree
If you are interested in joining SHAPE or would like more information, email SHAPEMedEd@SpectrumHealth.org.
Benefits to members at Spectrum Health
- Recognition for your dedication to medical education and teaching
- Develop individual skills as teacher and researcher
- Enhance your role in medical education
- Have access to mentorship from educational leaders
- Build, create and participate in faculty development workshops
- Access to scholarship grants and awards to fund educational scholarly projects
- Be part of a community of like-minded, passionate clinician educators
- Expand your professional network
- Tools to work on your promotion and tenure
New members will be accepted each spring. If you are interested in joining SHAPE or would like more information, email SHAPEMedEd@spectrumhealth.org.
Progress of Research in Medical Education
Monthly meetings to discuss ongoing medical education research at Spectrum Health with a focus on methodology to enhance future educational scholarship.
Medical Education Journal Club
Monthly journal clubs focused on recently published educational articles in top-tiered journals to discuss hot topics in medical education.
Clinical Teacher Program
In addition to monthly journal clubs, Progress in Medical Education Research (PRIME) and asynchronous learning opportunities, SHAPE partners with the Clinical Teacher Program, a 2-day course on enhancing faculty’s teaching skills.
Annual Education Day
Annually, SHAPE partners with Spectrum Health’s Research Day to highlight medical education while conducting workshops, presentations, and discussions on hot topics in medical education.
Grants are utilized to stimulate and expand future or ongoing medical education and quality improvement scholarship for SHAPE members. Applications are available in the summer of each academic year. The 2020 application is due December 1, 2020.
2020 Application - Internal Applicants Only
A consult service designed to provide peer-to-peer feedback on teaching. If you are interested in learning more, email SHAPEMedEd@spectrumhealth.org.