Making the Grade in Diabetes Care
A Class for School Personnel
Purpose/GoalThe purpose of this activity is to provide school personnel with enhanced skills and tools to meet the challenges and needs of managing a school-age child with diabetes.
- Describe current nursing management of treatment for children and adolescents with Type 1 and Type 2 Diabetes
- State the three insulin dosage components of an intensive insulin therapy program and the responsibility of the school staff.
- Explain the importance of nutrition in diabetes management.
- Review signs and symptoms of diabetes.
- Discuss insulin pump therapy and the nurses' role in real time glucose monitoring for children in the school.
- Describe ways to maximize learning, social and coping skills with a supportive school environment.
- Discuss insulin pens/pumps and monitors to care givers at school.
For more information, email email@example.com.