Spectrum Health Nutrition Services supports the global Meatless Monday program by serving meatless entrée options each Monday at Butterworth Hospital Prisms Cafeteria and Blodgett Hospital Market Avenue Cafeteria. Visitors are invited to consider meatless meal options when dining at either of these cafeteria locations on Mondays. The goal of Meatless Monday is to reduce meat consumption by 15% in order to improve personal health and the health of the planet. Watch this video to learn more about the health and environmental benefits of going meatless once a week.
Healthy Food Initiatives
- Zero trans fat cooking oil
- 100% trans fat free
- Smart Choices program
- Local produce (seasonal)
- Local fresh cut meats
- 25% healthy choices in vending machines
- Napkins - 100% recycled content and processed bleach free
- Fair trade coffee and organic vegetables at Lemmen-Holton Cancer Pavilion
- Biodegradable cups at Meijer Heart Center Mehney Terrace Bistro and Lemmen-Holton Cancer Pavilion
- rBGH and rBST free milk
Supporting Local Farmers
Over the past two years Spectrum Health has expanded efforts to provide access and encourage the consumption of local, sustainable and healthy produce. Through the Medical Center Farmer's Market and farm stands or community supported agriculture programs at three additional hospitals, we are able to bring the convenience of healthy foods to the doorstep of our employees.
This Eden Farm video explains the importance of community supported agriculture.