Strategic Development and Proposal Development
Creation of an innovative, properly scoped, and fundable idea is the essential first step in the proposal-development process. Even well-written proposals are unlikely to receive serious consideration for funding if they lack the foundation of an innovative and potentially impactful idea.
The Pre-Award Administrators in the Spectrum Health Office of Sponsored Programs are ready and eager to help Spectrum Health Principal Investigators and Project Directors (PIs and PDs) to plan their fund-seeking strategies and turn their ideas into fundable sponsored-program proposals. Contact the OSP's Pre-Award Administrators to get started!
Examples of what we can do for you at the Idea Creation and Proposal Planning stages of your work include:
- Support brainstorming sessions between Spectrum Health PI/PDs and their collaborators to refine project plans and develop realistic project budgets
- Research and identify appropriate sponsors for PI/PD ideas
- Facilitate collaborations with other Spectrum Health investigators and entities, and external collaborators and community-partner agencies
- Inform PI/PDs of available institutional and extramural resources
- Help prepare Spectrum Health PI/PDs to make appropriate, timely, and productive contact with funding-agency representatives
- Aid Spectrum Health PI/PDs to develop strategic pathways to progressive, sustained, and long-term sponsor support of their research and programmatic goals
Tools to Help you Create your Idea and Plan your ProposalGrant Readiness Assessment Tool: There are many factors that determine if you are prepared to submit a competitive grant application. We have consolidated these factors into an easy to use checklist. Please fill out the Grant Readiness Assessment Tool to determine if you are well-prepared to submit a grant application and what you need to do to improve your chances of being funded.
Strategy for NIH Funding: The National Institutes of Health provides an excellent resource for PIs looking to construct a strategic plan for their research work and careers. The National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases' Web-based "Strategy for NIH Funding" is a comprehensive, must-browse resource for any PI who aspires to obtain support from an NIH Institute or Center. Bookmark this online tool and take the time to review it carefully as you consider how to plan your fund-seeking journey.
Grant Application Development Worksheets: The SH OSP has compiled common elements of research and program grant applications regardless of the specific sponsor and developed worksheets that will help PI/PDs begin to frame their proposals early. Please use the following worksheets to help further develop your idea and begin to develop your proposal.
Grant Application Development Worksheet for Program Grants
Grant Application Development Worksheet for Research Grants