Services & Treatments
Spectrum Health Pulmonary Rehabilitation Program offers education and exercise for patients with pulmonary or chronic respiratory disease.
The goal is to reduce symptoms, teach techniques to manage lung disease, and reduce hospitalizations. We are dedicated to helping you return to your highest level of functioning and improve your quality of life.
We treat the following conditions in our program:
Quality Care and Services
We offer many different therapies to improve strength and endurance. Emphasis is placed on developing an exercise program that is safe and takes into account any musculoskeletal limitations you may have.
Therapeutic options include:
- Respiratory equipment and portable oxygen
- Breathing exercises to improve lung capacity and fitness
- Calisthenics or stretching exercises to improve flexibility
- Exercise machines such as treadmills and stationary bicycles
- Medication management to help reduce respiratory symptoms, complications and hospitalizations
- Nutritional counseling
- Patient and family education and counseling
- Proper inhaler use
- Smoking cessation
- Stress management and emotional support
- Vocational counseling
- Weight training to increase exercise endurance and conditioning
Our Team of Experts
The pulmonary rehabilitation team has a respiratory therapist that specializes in this kind of rehabilitation. The therapist works with you each session, tailoring the education and exercise program to your needs and abilities.
The team also may include dietitians, educators, social workers, nurses, psychologists, occupational therapists and other health professionals. A physician who specializes in working with the lungs (pulmonologist) works directly with the team. Treatment is centered on you and your family.