Spectrum Health is pleased to offer job shadow experiences. A job shadow is defined as a short term, one day less than eight hours, unpaid career exploration opportunity where a student is allowed to observe a professional and ask questions about their career. The “hands off” experience doesn’t involve assistance in patient care or productive work.
Students who are interested in a job shadow need to utilize their networking skills to arrange a shadow.
It is the student’s responsibility to identify a Spectrum Health employee who is willing to be their host. Once the connection is made with the Spectrum Health host, the host will email the job shadow application to the student. Once submitted, the application is processed by Human Resources within a few days and a confirmation email will be sent to the student and the host with further instructions.
Requirements for a job shadow include:
- Completion of the electronic job shadow application (Spectrum Health host sends link to student)
- Hold a high school diploma or GED (if 18 or older)
- Be 14 years of age and at least in the 9th grade
Medical Visitor Program - Grand Rapids Hospitals
Spectrum Health, in its commitment to further career exploration and health education, also offers a Medical Visitor Program for college-age students looking for a more in-depth job shadowing experience that lasts from 2-30 days. At an even higher level, we offer a training experience through observation of surgical procedures to enhance the educational experience
Students who are interested in a job shadow need to utilize their networking skills to arange a shadow
This program includes two levels:
- Level 1 – Job Shadow Visitor Experience
- May include direct shadowing/observing of general clinical activities under the guidance of the sponsoring physician. This is a hands-off experience that does not allow any patient care privileges, such as scrubbing or assisting in any procedures.
- Open to qualified college students or graduate students, including foreign medical students/graduates or foreign medical residents (18 years and older)
- Level 2 – Job Shadow Visitor Experience with Operating Room
- In addition to the allowances in Level 1, this visitor may enter the OR and observe only under the guidance of the sponsoring physician.
- Student visitor must show Universal Blood Borne Pathogen and Sterile Technique Certificate or proof of training to be considered.
- Open to qualified college students, graduate students, foreign medical students/graduates or foreign medical residents (18 years and older)