How to Refer
Please see referral information for each of our locations:
Diabetes Education - Reed City
219 E. Church Street
Diabetes Education – Fremont
212 S. Sullivan
Diabetes Education - Zeeland
8333 Felch St, Suite 100
Why Diabetes Self-Management Training?
"No diabetes management tool, no new oral agent, insulin or medical device, is as important as the services of a certified diabetes educator."
Christopher Saudek, MD, Director of Johns Hopkins Diabetes Center, Baltimore, Maryland
- Diabetes education is associated with higher compliance rates for nearly all HEDIS measures. (The Diabetes Educator, Vol. 35, No. 5)
- People who have had self-management education are 50 percent more likely to seek recommended medical care and to engage in daily self-care activities. (Michigan Department of Community Health, February 2008)
- People with diabetes who receive self-management education are more than two times as likely to get all of their recommended medical care in a single year. (Michigan Department of Community Health, February 2008)
- Eighty percent of our class graduates report follow-up A1Cs under seven percent.
"Initial and periodic refresher courses with Spectrum Health Diabetes Education have provided needed, evidence-based information to our patients. This has often resulted in patients taking a more active role in their own care. These services, as part of our overall care management team, have brought our group closer to our goal of achieving a true patient-centered medical home."
Kevin J. McCormick, MD, Internal Medicine, Spectrum Health Medical Group
Diabetes Self-Management Training (DSMT) Services
The initial visit provides a comprehensive assessment to customize the patient's self-management plan.
- Comprehensive type 2 diabetes classes designed for those who are newly diagnosed, in need of a refresher course or have poor diabetes control
- Diabetes prevention
- Impoving diabetes control
- Insulin/injectable instruction
- Other individual needs
- Basal-bolus insulin training
- Gestational diabetes education
Medical Nutrition Therapy (MNT)
- Consultation with registered dietitian for help with meal planning
Fees and Insurance
- Most insurance companies cover initial and regular follow-up DSMT with a physician referral
- Some insurance companies, including Medicare, cover MNT
- Financial assistance is available for those who qualify