Spectrum Health's anticoagulation toolkit is a new resource for the management of warfarin (Coumadin®). Our goal is to establish more uniform care, maximizing the benefits of warfarin and minimizing the risks associated with its use.
Based on data from the Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality, warfarin is a medication commonly involved in adverse drug events. These events are a result of the complexity of dosing and monitoring, patient compliance, and the numerous drug and dietary interactions that can affect medication levels. Warfarin is also one of our most effective medicines for reducing risks of thromboembolic events.
Physician offices are not required to use this toolkit, but we feel it is important to make the information available to any practice involved in the management of warfarin. The toolkit is divided into five sections: patient education, reference materials, point-of-care testing, office documentation and competency quiz.
- What Is Warfarin and Why Am I on It?
- What Are the Signs of Bleeding and Clotting Associated With Warfarin Therapy?
- What Non-Food Interactions Are There With Warfarin?
- How Does My Diet Affect Warfarin?
- What Should I Know About Warfarin Dosing?
- What Should I Know About Out-of-Town Travel, Procedures, Lab Work and Warfarin?
- Patient Dosing Sheet
- Patient Dosing Calendar
- Patient Dosing Card
References and Algorithms
- Recommendations for Target INR Range and Duration of Warfarin Therapy
- Recommendations for Initiation of Warfarin Therapy
- Managing Oral Anticoagulation During Invasive Procedures
- Guidelines for Warfarin Maintenance
- Recommended Frequency of INR Testing
- Guidelines for Warfarin Reversal With Vitamin K
- Warfarin Interactions With Drugs, Herbals, Food and Labs
- Anticoagulation Patient Contract
- Anticoagulation Management Face Sheet
- Warfarin Monitoring Sheet
- Anticoagulation Patient Education Note
- Patient Questionnaire for Warfarin Therapy
- Anticoagulation Management Note