To help protect our patients, families and visitors during flu season, we have updated our Healthy Visitor Guidelines as of January 14, 2013. Please read the updated Healthy Visitor Guidelines here.
How Can I Avoid Getting the Flu?
To avoid getting influenza, Spectrum Health physicians recommend that you:
- Get your seasonal influenza vaccine.
- Wash your hands regularly and thoroughly.
- Avoid contact with people who have flu-like symptoms.
- Get plenty of rest.
- Eat a healthy, balanced diet.
Treating Flu Symptoms
- Most symptoms can and should be treated at home. Only the most severe illnesses require a visit to an urgent care location or emergency department.
- It will take anywhere from five days to 10 days for the illness to run its course.
- For most people who contract influenza, they should try to:
- Stay home
- Drink plenty of liquids
- Take acetaminophen or ibuprofen to assist with fever and body aches
Links for More Information
Kent County Health Department – What You Can Do to Stick it to the Flu
Ottawa County Health Department – About Seasonal Flu
CDC.gov/Flu – Centers for Disease Control and Prevention Flu Information
Flu.gov – U.S. Dept. of Health & Human Services Flu Information